NIH SBIR/STTR Proposal Prep Workshop
For basic research advancing beyond the academic realm into product development, the NIH provides non-dilutive federal funding through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. The NIH SBIR/STTR programs award over $1.25 billion in R&D funding annually to qualified small businesses developing game-changing technologies.
During this workshop, our expert will provide important information about SBIR/STTR funding and address how to craft a competitive SBIR/STTR proposal that meets the unique requirements of the NIH.
Expect to learn:
- Registration process necessary for submission
- Strategies for targeting your proposal to meet the reviewers’ expectations
- How to approach each section of the proposal
- The importance of your Specific Aims
- Common pitfalls and how to avoid them, and more
- 8:00am VIPC Intro. and Program Overview
- 8:30am SBIR/STTR Overview and NIH Program Essentials – An overview of the SBIR/STTR program and review of NIH Program Essentials
- 10:00am 10-15-minute break
- 10:15am NIH Proposal Prep – Part 1 – Detailed explanation of each major component of the Research Plan with strategies and review criteria
- 12:15pm 30-minute lunch break
- 12:45pm NIH Proposal Prep – Part 2
- Continuation of NIH proposal prep, including Biosketches, Facilities, Budgets, and Grantsmanship
- 2:45pm 10-15-minute break
- 3:00pm Other Components for Success – Registrations, more NIH funding opportunities, how to handle Human Subjects Research, Intro to ASSIST, and final Q&A.
- 4:00pm Adjourn
About Virginia Innovation Partnership Corporation (VIPC)
VIPC accelerates early commercialization & funding support for Virginia innovations, entrepreneurs, startups & market development initiatives. VIPC concentrates on the early commercialization and seed funding stages of innovation, helping innovators and tech entrepreneurs launch and grow new companies, create high paying jobs and accelerate economic growth throughout the entire Commonwealth of Virginia. Through VIPC’s SBIR/STTR Support Program, training, mentoring, expert referrals, and “phase 0” grants are available to help Virginia’s small businesses improve their SBIR/STTR proposals. Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-689-3080.
About BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting
BBCetc is nationally recognized for its success in helping emerging companies win SBIR/STTR funding and use it strategically to propel growth. BBCetc’s Michigan clients have been awarded over $406 million in funding since 2002. The company was recently named a 2020 Tibbetts award winner as well as one of 50 “Michigan companies to watch” by Michigan Celebrates Small Business.
About the Presenter: Shannon Bass
Shannon is a Senior BBCetc Principal Consultant. She joined BBCetc in 2018 bringing with her 28 years of management experience in the biotechnology industry and as an independent SBIR/STTR consultant. Shannon’s career began with an animal health start-up out of the University of Kentucky, which was later purchased by Neogen Corporation. She continued with Neogen for 17 years in the areas of quality control/ assurance, regulatory, pharmaceutical manufacturing and technical services. Later she became CEO of a biotech start-up which brought to market a veterinary research device and president of another medical device firm developing a product for treatment of late-stage lung cancer. A PI on multiple research grants, Shannon has assisted numerous start-ups in developing competitive NIH grant submissions, post-award management, commercialization, project management and building an effective team. She holds B.S degree in Agriculture from Murray State University in Kentucky. www.bbcetc.com / 734.930.9741 / email@example.com / @BBC_etc
Funded in Part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration
Small Business Development Center offices
300 Preston Ave., Charlottesville, VA
2nd Floor Training Room
- Virginia Based Small Tech Firms: $15 per person (Lunch Provided)
- Virginia Based University Researchers: $15 per person (Lunch Provided)
- All Others: $75 per person (Lunch Provided)